Friends of Trees is searching for a contracted fundraiser in Eugene
POSITION TITLE: Fundraising Contractor
This is the first dedicated fundraising position for Friends of Trees Eugene and the goal is for this position to take fundraising for the Eugene program to the next level.
SUPERVISED BY: Development and Communications Director
PAY RANGE: Hourly, $50/hour – $75/hour, DOE.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Open until filled.
EMPLOYMENT STATUS: Contracted, hourly. Approximately 50 hours a month for 6 months, some flexibility is possible.
LOCATION: Eugene, Oregon. This position is primarily remote with visits to the Eugene office and planting sites as necessary; we are looking for someone who lives in the Eugene area and is familiar with local businesses and institutions. The Eugene office follows COVID safety protocols per state and local guidelines.
PHYSICAL & OTHER REQUIREMENTS:
- Operate a computer and other office productivity machinery, such as a telephone or printer, for periods of time up to 8 hours.
- Ability to easily move about in tree planting sites, in both urban and natural areas.
- Ability to successfully work remotely; you need to provide your own computer equipment.
- Reliable transportation to be able to get to and from planting sites.
- Friends of Trees wants to keep our staff, partners, volunteers, and the public we work with as safe as possible. We are requiring employees, and this position, to be vaccinated for COVID-19.
As the contract development officer, you will work closely with the Eugene director and Portland fundraising staff to reach new individual and corporate donors, in addition to growing the engagement of current donors. This is the first dedicated fundraising position for Friends of Trees Eugene and the goal is for this position to take fundraising for the Eugene program to the next level, with more and deeper individual donor engagement and significantly increased prospecting, cultivation and engagement of business donors. This opportunity includes the ability to find, cultivate and engage new donors throughout the Eugene/Springfield region. First year fundraising goals of 25-40% growth are attainable and will be celebrated.
This person will plan, coordinate and implement all aspects of a Eugene fundraising program, in collaboration with the Portland fundraising staff and with data entry and some database reporting support from the Portland-based Development Specialist. This position will interact with the Eugene office staff on a regular basis for program information; attending some Eugene volunteer planting events will also be necessary in order to gather program content.
While current fundraising staff will work closely with this position, this position will need to be able to work successfully independently and will drive this programming. The ultimate goal, should this position be successful, is adding a permanent fundraising staff position based in Eugene.
DESCRIPTION OF ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
- Develop and execute an annual individual donor fundraising plan for Eugene Friends of Trees, including generating original content for fundraising letters. Responsible for all coordination of mailed and electronic appeal letters.
- Coordinate and support Major Donor efforts involving the Executive Director, Deputy Director, Eugene Director and/or Eugene advisory board of directors; directly participate in major donor cultivation as appropriate.
- Leverage the Friends of Trees brand with integrity and creativity to maintain and grow business and corporate donors. Manage all aspects of this fundraising area including generating prospect lists; proactively contacting business prospects; build relationships and generate proposals specific to individual businesses.
- Coordinate as necessary with communications staff to utilize website and social media to support fundraising efforts.
- Analyze fundraising data through the Salesforce.com CRM system; customize and pull reports as needed.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Minimum 3-5 years progressive experience managing all aspects of a successful nonprofit fundraising program specific to individual and business donors.
- Solid record of achieving revenue goals.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills, both internally and externally, for a variety of audiences.
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team.
- Ability to juggle multiple priorities and exercise initiative.
- Strong working knowledge of CRM data systems, email marketing programs, and Microsoft and Adobe suite of products. Experience with Salesforce preferred.
- A positive, flexible attitude and a sense of humor.
- Passion for FOT’s mission.
- Experience with and dedication to working with diverse teams and constituents in a respectful, equitable, and inclusive fashion.
- Strong working knowledge of Salesforce database.
- Experience with or strong working knowledge of environmental issues, including environmental/climate justice.
- Basic graphic design and website management skills.
Position open until filled. Email a resume, cover letter, and contact information for 3 professional references to Kathy Armstrong with Eugene fundraiser in the subject line.
- Please ensure your resume addresses your specific qualifications for this position.
- In a brief cover letter, please:
- Explore how you would approach this position. What would you do first? How would you split your time each week/month?
- Provide hyperlinks to 2-3 pieces of fundraising communication for which you directly created the content.
Friends of Trees inspires people to improve the world around them through a simple solution: Planting trees. Together.
Friends of Trees is a nationally recognized, regional leader in improving the urban tree canopy and restoring sensitive natural areas—through programs delivered by thousands of volunteers at more than 100 community tree planting and tree care events every season. Founded in 1989, Friends of Trees is in its 33rd season of organizing community tree planting and tree care events in the Portland and Eugene Metro areas. For more information, please visit www.friendsoftrees.org
Friends of Trees recognizes that not everyone has equal access to the benefits of trees and healthy urban green spaces based on racial and socioeconomic status, and we are committed to building a culturally diverse and inclusive environment. Candidates of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
Friend of Trees provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identification, national origin, age, disability or genetics.