When submitting your application, please include the Job Title in the Subject heading of your email. Individuals who are qualified for more than one job are welcome to apply to multiple positions!
NOW HIRING: Neighborhood Trees Outreach Assistant
Job Title: Neighborhood Outreach Assistant
Status: Seasonal, part-time
Compensation: $15 hourly; not eligible for benefits
Schedule: Tuesday-Friday evenings, Saturdays (flexible scheduling, approximately 25 hours/wk)
Start Date: June 14, 2018
Friends of Trees is hiring up to ten outgoing individuals to join our Outreach team and represent our organization from June through September, with several positions continuing through Winter 2019.
Friends of Trees is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization serving Oregon and Southwest Washington. Our mission is to inspire community stewardship of our urban forest by bringing people together to plant and care for urban trees and natural areas.
Outreach staff are the public face of our tree planting effort, measuring and assessing thousands of planting locations in dozens of neighborhoods while providing extensive face-to-face contact with residents as we offer them new tree-planting opportunities. Successful outreach staff are outgoing, independently motivated, self-directed, and adaptable to changing field conditions. Strong candidates will be detail-oriented, comfortable with door-to-door canvassing and enthusiastic about community outreach and planting trees as a means of improving the urban environment.
Friends of Trees recognizes that not everyone has equal access to the benefits of trees and healthy green spaces, and we are committed to building a culturally diverse and inclusive environment. Candidates of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
• Excellent people skills, positive attitude and sense of humor
• Desire to work with diverse communities and with individuals from all backgrounds
• Experience with and ability to work both independently and in a small team
• Willingness and ability to work full shifts on foot, in the field, in varying weather conditions
• Well organized with excellent time management skills
• Ability to reach field work locations in North, Northeast, Southeast, and East Portland
• Previous canvassing, customer service, sales and/or community outreach experience
• Knowledge of trees, gardening and/or urban forestry issues
• Strong awareness of and/or commitment to environmental restoration
• Experience representing a non-profit, government or other organization to the public
• Previous experience with detailed data entry
• Have a valid driver’s license and acceptable driving record
• Ability to speak a language other than English
• Live within one of Portland’s 95 officially recognized neighborhoods
Description of Duties:
• Measure and assess private and public property to identify planting tree potential
• Contact property owners at the door to provide information and promote participation in neighborhood tree planting events
• Assist homeowners with tree selections
• Recording and maintaining accurate field data
• Detailed data entry, weekly at the Friends of Trees office in NE Portland
• Tabling at events and presentations to community groups
• Attend week-long training beginning June 14, 2018; attend ongoing trainings
• Submit an accurate timesheet, monthly
Please submit a cover letter and resume or complete and submit an application form (.docx or .pdf) to Erica Timm at firstname.lastname@example.org by 5:00pm on Friday, May 11, 2018. Please limit application to two pages.
Friends of Trees is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Friends of Trees is committed to equal opportunity for all persons including staff, volunteers, and clients served without regard to race, age, religion, color, sex, national origin, physical or mental disability, marital or familial status, family relationship, sexual orientation, gender identity, association with any other person in a protected class, veteran status, expunged juvenile record, source of income or any other classification protected by law.
NOW HIRING: Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion Specialist
Job Title: Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion Specialist
Compensation: $33-37K per year depending on experience; eligible for full benefits package, including health and dental care; holiday, vacation and sick time
Schedule: ~40 hrs/week. Tuesday – Saturday during planting season (Oct-April); Monday – Friday (May-Sept). Schedule is fairly flexible within that framework; employee establishes schedule and makes changes known with manager
Friends of Trees is hiring an Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion Specialist to support our efforts to increase programmatic and organizational diversity, inclusivity, and equity. This will be done by implementing community-based programming with partners and the public, strengthening existing relationships and growing new relationships with communities of color, and seeking additional funding for equity work in accordance with the Friends of Trees’ mission. Ideal candidates will be personable, creative and adaptable; able to juggle multiple priorities at once; and have a desire to work with diverse communities and individuals of all backgrounds.
Friends of Trees is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization serving Oregon and Southwest Washington. Our mission is to inspire community stewardship of our urban forest by bringing people together to plant, care for and learn about urban trees and natural areas.
Friends of Trees is committed to building a culturally diverse and inclusive environment. We recognize that not everyone has equal access to the benefits of trees and healthy green spaces. As a community driven organization we foster an atmosphere of inclusion and support so that we continue to build places that are safe and healthy for all. We accomplish this through authentic community conversation, unique partnerships, relevant programming, and attracting and retaining diverse staff and supporters. We strongly encourage people of color, LGBTQ folks, religious minorities, recent immigrants, and anyone with a marginalized identity to apply for this position. Diverse experiences and opinions are sincerely desired to guide our programming to best serve those with less access to trees and nature in their communities.
- Excellent people and communication skills including good listener and thoughtful respondent
- Able to facilitate complex conversations with diverse audiences
- Have a positive attitude and sense of humor
- Able to think on their feet and be flexible and adaptable
- Well organized with excellent time management skills
- Motivated in setting goals and working towards long term goals with a team
- Have a desire to work both outdoors and in an office environment
- Experienced in working effectively with diverse community groups and underrepresented populations, and expected to strengthen such capacity if hired
- Have a valid driver’s license and acceptable driving record
- Skilled in collaboration and teamwork
- Experienced in supervising others
- Experienced or familiar with Human Resources practices
- Experienced in non-profit development work seeking funds for ongoing and new programming
- Skilled in using Microsoft Word, Excel, Access, ArcGIS, Salesforce and web-based databases
- Knowledgeable about and interested in tree id, planting, pruning and/or urban and community forestry
- Able to speak a language other than English
Primary Staff Duties:
- Supports Friends of Trees’ efforts to increase programmatic and organizational diversity, inclusivity, and equity throughout FOT geographic reach of 20 cities in Oregon and Washington.
- Advances existing relationships with partner community benefit organizations and builds new relationships and educational partnerships in the greater community.
- Seeks funding to continue to grow capacity for equity, diversity, and inclusion work at Friends of Trees.
- Serves as a key member of the Friends of Trees Equity Committee who implement and evaluate team decisions in helping the organization operationalize equity.
- Orients, trains and supervises volunteers and paid interns.
- Works alongside volunteers to plant and care for trees.
- Coordinates and staffs outreach events to sign up tree purchasers and volunteers.
- Participates in efforts to improve program and organizational effectiveness and efficiency.
- Attends staff meetings, retreats and other related work events.
- Other duties as assigned.
Hours: ~40 hrs/week. Tuesday – Saturday during planting season (Oct-April); Monday – Friday rest of year. Fairly flexible within that framework, establishes schedule and makes changes known.
Office Location: 3117 NE Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd., Portland, OR 97212. Close to TriMet Bus #6, and off-street bike parking area.
Compensation: This will be a salaried full time position of $33,000-$37,000 per year depending on experience, eligible for full benefits package, including health and dental care; holiday, vacation and sick time.
To Apply: Please submit a cover letter, resume and three references (limit 2 pages total) to Whitney Dorer, email@example.com by 5:00pm on Monday, May 7th, 2018. Please note “Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion Specialist” in the title of the email application. This position is open to internal and external candidates. Thank you so much for taking the time to prepare and submit your application.
Friends of Trees provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identification, national origin, age, disability or genetics.