Thank you for your interest in joining the Friends of Trees Staff! We are proud to have been selected as one of the ‘100 Best Non-Profits to Work For’ and ‘100 Best Green Workplaces’ by the Oregon Business Journal and are proud to serve the communities we work with.
NOW HIRING: Neighborhood Trees Outreach Assistant
Job Title: Neighborhood Trees Outreach Assistant
Status: Seasonal, part-time
Compensation: $16 hourly
Schedule: Tuesday-Friday evenings, Saturdays (flexible scheduling, approximately 25 hours/wk)
Start Date: June 12, 2019
Friends of Trees is hiring up to ten outgoing individuals to join our outreach team and represent our organization from June through September, with several positions continuing through April 2020.
Outreach staff are the public face of our tree planting effort, measuring and assessing thousands of planting locations in dozens of neighborhoods while providing extensive face-to-face contact with residents as we offer them new tree-planting opportunities. Successful outreach staff are outgoing, independently motivated, self-directed, and adaptable to changing field conditions. Strong candidates will be detail-oriented, comfortable with door-to-door canvassing and enthusiastic about community outreach and planting trees as a means of improving the urban environment.
A significant portion of our outreach efforts are targeted towards neighborhoods with lower incomes and lower tree canopy. People with diverse backgrounds and experiences make successful outreach staff candidates to help guide programming to and for communities with less access to trees and nature. Persons of color, LGBTQ individuals, religious minorities, recent immigrants, and persons of other underrepresented identities are strongly encouraged to apply.
• Excellent people skills, positive attitude and sense of humor
• Desire to work with diverse communities and with individuals from all backgrounds
• Experience with and ability to work both independently and in a small team
• Willingness and ability to work full shifts on foot, in the field, in varying weather conditions
• Well organized with excellent time management skills
• Ability to reach field work locations within the City of Portland
• Previous canvassing, customer service, sales and/or community outreach experience
• Knowledge of trees, gardening and/or urban forestry issues
• Strong awareness of and/or commitment to environmental restoration
• Experience representing a non-profit, government or other organization to the public
• Previous experience with detailed data entry
• Have a valid driver’s license and acceptable driving record
• Ability to speak a language other than English
Description of Duties:
• Measure and assess private and public property to identify planting tree potential
• Contact property owners at the door to provide information and promote participation in neighborhood tree planting events
• Assist homeowners with tree selections
• Recording and maintaining accurate field data
• Detailed data entry, weekly at the Friends of Trees office in NE Portland
• Tabling at events and presentations to community groups
• Attend week-long training beginning June 12, 2019; attend ongoing trainings
• Submit an accurate timesheet, monthly
• Application deadline extended to Monday, May 13 at 11:59 PM.
• Please submit a cover letter and resume or complete and submit an application form (.docx) to Erica Timm at email@example.com .
• Please limit application to two pages.
Friends of Trees is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Friends of Trees is committed to equal opportunity for all persons including staff, volunteers, and clients served without regard to race, age, religion, color, sex, national origin, physical or mental disability, marital or familial status, family relationship, sexual orientation, gender identity, association with any other person in a protected class, veteran status, expunged juvenile record, source of income or any other classification protected by law.