Thank you for your interest in volunteering as a group! We welcome groups at all of our public events and our Volunteer & Outreach team is here to help you with any questions you may have. Friends of Trees events are excellent ways for groups to learn team-building skills, have fun together, and make a difference in their community as a team.
Which event is best for your group?
Green Space events typically occur within a park or natural area. We meet at the planting site and typically plant hundreds of plants and trees in the same general vicinity.
Group Size: We can often keep groups of up to 10 people in the same planting crew. If your group is larger, you will be on different planting crews but in the same vicinity and still able to interact.
Workload: You will plant smaller-sized native trees and shrubs, which are often easier for youth to plant on their own. The terrain will be generally flat and a bit muddy–but some locations do have terrain with steep slopes that can be difficult. These details are often noted in the Event Details.
Good for Kids? We recommend this style event for youth age 6 and older.
If your group is 6+ people and need to stay together, we recommend Green Space events. Look for the green events on the calendar below.
Neighborhood Trees events take place in the yards and along sidewalks of urban neighborhoods. You meet at a central location and then spread out to plant at multiple houses in a nearby neighborhood.
Group Size: We can keep a group of 3-5 people together in the same planting crew.
Workload: You will be planting larger-sized trees (6-10′ tall and weighing up to 40 lbs) at 6-8 different houses throughout a neighborhood. Due to the need for transportation between homes we plant at, and the challenge of carpooling during this era of Covid-19, we recommend that all volunteers have private transportation to participate at this event. If this is a barrier for you to participate, please let us know and we will work with you!
Good for kids? We recommend youth are 10+ years old, unfortunately there are relatively few tasks for smaller-bodied people at these events.
If your group is <5 people or doesn’t mind splitting up, these are fun group events! Look for the purple events on the calendar below.
To Sign up a Group for a Public Event:
- From the calendar below, find an event that works for you and your group and click on it. The event should “expand” and provide more details about the event.
- Within the expanded event details, click on the ‘Registration Form’ or ‘RSVPs’ link and you will be redirected to a registration form. Event is full? Please consider volunteering at another one of our events–your help will be greatly appreciated there as well!
- Once you’re on the registration form, add how many volunteers will be in your group in the ‘# of Volunteers’ field.
- Complete and submit the form. An automated email confirmation should arrive fairly soon at the email address you have provided.
- In the week leading up to your event, one of our team members from the Volunteer & Outreach team will be in touch to confirm a final group size and provide some additional logistical details about the day itself.
***We appreciate at least a week’s notice when possible and look forward to working with you and your group!***
Prefer a private event for your team? Or another private event for your group? Learn about our private events here. This is an excellent option if you need more flexibility around when and where you want to participate.
Questions? Please contact Gabriel and Jenny in our Volunteer & Outreach team at [email protected]. We’re happy to help and do our best to respond with 3 business days.