Celebrate trees in April
Happy tree month! National Arbor Day is April 24, while Oregon sets aside the first full week of April to celebrate trees, Washington celebrates on April 8, and Portland sets aside the entire month.
- Saturday, April 4: If you’re craving forests and open spaces, you can join us to replant a beautiful tributary to the Clackamas River as part of our Rock Creek Partnership with with SOLVE and the Clackamas River Basin Council, or head out to Forest Grove for a planting at beautiful Fernhill Wetlands.
- Wednesday, April 8: Celebrate Arbor Day in Vancouver at Marshall Community Park, when the city will commemorate 26 years as a Tree City USA, a national designation for excellence in urban forestry.
- Thursday, April 9: Save your grocery shopping for this day when Whole Foods Market will donate 5 percent of sales from all eight Portland-area stores to Friends of Trees!
Thursday, April 9: After you shop, join us for a community nature walk to discuss the trees of the Boise-Eliot neighborhood of Portland.
- Friday, April 10: Get a squirrels-eye view of downtown Portland’s trees by taking a free bucket truck ride in the SW Park Blocks with the City of Portland Urban Forestry division.
- Saturday, April 11: Head to the Portland Arbor Day Festival at the Portland Farmers Market at Portland State University and hear why Portland will once again be honored as a Tree City USA.
- Saturday, April 11: Join other volunteers to mulch and care for for recently planted trees at Kelly Butte Natural Area, or volunteer to plant trees in Tigard at Cook Park.
- Root for the Portland Timbers! For each goal the team scores, a tree is planted with Friends of Trees (happening all season).
- Monday, April 13: Join Oregon City to celebrate Arbor Day as we plant trees at Eastham School.
- Whole month: While you’re at it, you can support trees at the register of the adidas Timbers Team Store at Providence Park.
- Wednesday, April 15: Join Friends of Trees’ staff on a community tree walk in the Lents neighborhood of Portland.
Whole month: Stay at one of the three Provenance Hotels in Portland — Hotel Lucia, Hotel deLuxe and the Sentinel — and they’ll match your $5 donation to Friends of Trees.
- Saturday, April 18: Snag a FREE fruit tree for your yard at Friends of Trees’ annual Fruit Tree Giveaway.
- Saturday, April 18: Help us plant and care for trees to restore the wide open forests and wetlands of the Sandy River Delta Park in Troutdale.
- April 22-28: For all you knitting nuts, Knit Purl will donate 10 percent of proceeds from featured Earth-friendly products to Friends of Trees!
- April 25: Volunteer to help mulch young trees and shrubs at the Tualatin River National Wildlife Refuge in Sherwood.
- April 25: Join Friends of Trees staff on a community tree walk in the Portsmouth neighborhood of Portland.
- Grab a pint of the Tree Line Pale Ale from Falling Sky Brewing Company in Eugene and the brewery will donate $1 to Friends of Trees – and they’ll donate $5 for every t-shirt they sell.
- Cheer for the Portland Trail Blazers—they’re planting three trees for each three-pointer scored through “Threes for Trees,” a partnership of the Trail Blazers, Daimler Trucks and Friends of Trees (happening all season long).
- Wednesdays in April: Woodlawn’s Be Here Now Yoga will donate proceeds from its noon Vinyasa for a Cause class to plant more trees!
- First week of April and May: 50% of the proceeds from the first week of classes at Sarita Vasquez Yoga will go to Friends of Trees!
We hope to see you this month, and thank you!