It’s hiring season! Friends of Trees seeks a Development Specialist
Friends of Trees seeks a Development Specialist to help achieve our mission of bringing people together to plant and care for trees in neighborhoods and natural areas.
Individual donors, businesses, and support from other community members are key to fulfilling our mission. Our Development Specialist is an integral member of the three-person Development & Communications Program, providing administrative support to the program, including data entry and reporting; gift acknowledgement; donor communications; some community outreach and donor relations; and other duties as assigned. This person will occasionally work outside of normal working hours and may work a flexible schedule for special events.
POSITION TITLE: Development Specialist
SUPERVISED BY: Development and Communications Director
PAY RANGE: $38,000 – $41,000 annually
BENEFITS: Full benefits package includes fully paid health, vision and dental. Exceptional holiday, vacation and sick time.
EMPLOYMENT STATUS: Regular, non-exempt from overtime. Full-Time.
LOCATION: Portland, Oregon office. Stairs are required to access the office. While COVID regulations are in effect, this position will primarily work remotely, with weekly visits to the office (the office building follows COVID safety protocols and is minimally occupied).
This position is open until filled; interviews will begin on September 30. Application instructions are below the job description.
Friends of Trees inspires people to improve the natural world around them through a simple solution: Planting trees. Together.
Friends of Trees is a nationally recognized, regional leader in improving the urban tree canopy and restoring sensitive natural areas—through programs delivered by thousands of volunteers at more than 100 community tree planting and tree care events every season. Founded in 1989, Friends of Trees is in its 32nd season of organizing community tree planting and tree care events in the Portland and Eugene Metro areas. For more information, please visit www.friendsoftrees.org
Friends of Trees recognizes that not everyone has equal access to the benefits of trees and healthy urban green spaces based on racial and socioeconomic status, and we are committed to building a culturally diverse and inclusive environment. Candidates of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
DESCRIPTION OF ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
- Database lead: Organizational Salesforce (CRM database) expert and serve as go-to person for custom reports; trouble-shooting and problem-solving; customizations; data clean up and maintenance.
- Design email and templates for public communications and campaigns.
- Create and manage year end fundraising calendar.
- Process, code, enter, track, and file all of the organization’s donations with precision, ensuring database integrity and accurate, reliable reports
- Create, process and file all donor acknowledgement letters in a timely manner.
- Work with members of the Finance Department to ensure monthly and yearly reconciliation between fundraising and accounting databases.
- Assist in planning and executing fundraising events. Attend other organizational events as necessary, including some Saturday tree planting events.
- Support efforts in appeal letter mailings through vendor coordination, list generation.
- Track and order office supplies, other materials as necessary.
- Assist other program staff with scheduling, meetings, events as necessary and as schedule permits.
- Manage Gift Tree program, through scheduling plantings in collaboration with the Green Space Program, send planting event information to Gift Tree donors, engage in other communications with Gift Tree donors about program elements.
- Other duties as assigned.
- At least 1-2 years of similar administrative support responsibilities, preferably in a nonprofit setting. Special consideration given to candidates with Salesforce experience.
- Experience working in a professional setting.
- Exceptional organizational skills with great attention to detail.
- Ability to handle and prioritize multiple, competing tasks and projects.
- Proficiency with basic software programs, including Microsoft Office, strong knowledge of Microsoft Excel.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment, and to take initiative while working collaboratively as part of a team.
- A positive, flexible attitude and a sense of humor.
- Passion for FOT’s mission and support of organization’s Equity, Diversity and Inclusion values.
- Basic graphic design experience with Adobe Suite.
- Experience with donor communications
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
To apply: Please send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com with Development Specialist in the subject line.
This position is open until filled; interviews will begin on September 30.
Friend of Trees provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identification, national origin, age, disability or genetics.