By Andy Meeks
The ten-day countdown to our first Neighborhood Trees Crew Leader Training of the 2012-13 season has begun, and we’re getting fired up! We hope to train more than 100 enthusiastic, motivated and fun-loving people to become crew leaders with us this season.
There is still room at our SE Portland and SE Vancouver trainings on Saturday, Nov. 3 and Saturday, Nov. 17. You need pre-register to save your spot: Crew Leader Training Registration Form. These trainings are very popular and spaces will run out soon. There’s also still room at our Eugene Crew Leader Training on Thursday, Nov. 29.
Both trainings will start at 9:00 am and last until 4:00 pm. We’ll provide an ample breakfast and lunch, as well as a Tree Team t-shirt and lots of valuable knowledge that you can’t find anywhere else. In return, we ask that each crew leader commit to guiding small groups of planters at four Saturday morning plantings between November and April. Please consider joining us!
While it never gets old talking about the benefits of becoming a crew leader with Friends of Trees, it’s often more powerful to hear straight from the source, so to speak. So take a look below at some of our past blog posts about what actual Neighborhood Trees crew leaders have to say about this great role:
- Why We Lead: A Crew Leader’s Vested Interest, Part II (2012)
- Why We Lead: A Crew Leader’s Vested Interest, Part I (2012)
- Why Do You Plant Trees? A Crew Leader’s Story. (2012)
- Rookie Crew Leaders Reveal Lessons From Their First Season (2012)
- Nuggets of Wisdom from our Newest Crew Leaders (2011)
- Rookie Crew Leaders Share their Secrets (2010)
Many thanks to KBOO Community Radio for sponsoring our Portland and Vancouver trainings.
If you have any questions, Jenny and Andy will be happy to talk with you. Please give them a call at 503-595-0213 or email them at Volunteer@FriendsofTrees.org. We look forward to working with you soon!
– Meeks is the Volunteer & Outreach Program Manager with Friends of Trees.